Complete Guide to Bursitis: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment — Bursitis Doctors in Torrance, CA
Bursitis is a painful, musculoskeletal condition affecting your tendons and joints. Bursitis treatment in Torrance is available today that quickly relieves bursitis pain and inflammation with chiropractic techniques, corticosteroid injections, and orthopedic care.
Symptoms of Bursitis
If you suffer from bursitis, then you already know how painful and life-altering the bursitis symptoms can be. Bursitis can affect many areas like the shoulders, hips, knees, and other joints. Below we will discuss the conditions and symptoms that many people experience with Bursitis.
- Swelling and redness of the shoulder joint
- Pain when moving the shoulder or raising your arm above the shoulder
- Hearing popping, crunching or grinding noises when moving the shoulder
- Arm and shoulder weakness/inability to hold heavier objects without pain
- Swelling, tenderness, and pain
- The initial pain may be sharp and radiating but becomes achy and dull after a few days
- Pain intensifies when you get out of bed, stand up from a sitting position or sit for an extended period.
- Sleeping on the hip joint suffering bursitis can also worsen pain or cause pain to start radiating into your buttocks or thighs
- Pain and stiffness in the affected elbow
- Elbow swelling (can happen suddenly or gradually)
- Arm achiness and weakness
- Worsening pain when extending or bending the elbow
- Gradual onset of pain and swelling
- Knee weakness/instability
- Development of a palpable lump behind your knee (Baker's cyst)
- Commonly affects people who sit all day at work or older people leading sedentary lifestyles
- Pain and soreness on either side of your buttocks (occurs whether you are walking or sitting)
- Radiating pain down the back of the thigh
- Worsening pain when you are lying down
What Causes Bursitis?
Bursae are tiny sacs containing synovial fluid that reduce friction and cushion spaces where tendons extend over bones. Inflammation of bursae reduces their ability to prevent friction and scraping between bones and tendons. This is what causes the pain, swelling, and stiffness associated with all joint bursitis conditions.
Common causes of bursitis include:
- Repetitive movements (constantly bending at the hips and knees, working as a painter or carpet layer, golfing, etc)
- Poor posture and walking habits (favoring a bad knee by placing extra stress on the other knee, for example)
- Gout, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other joint issues
- Taking antidepressants like Celexa, Paxil, and Zoloft
- Traumatic injury to the joint
Diagnosis and Treatment of Bursitis
To correctly diagnose joint conditions, our Torrance bursitis doctor at Rolling Hills Medical will evaluate symptoms, remove fluid from joint bursae for lab analysis (if necessary) and may test your blood to rule out other conditions. In most cases, our doctor will be able to determine if you are suffering bursitis just by physical examining the affected joint.
Some cases of bursitis may resolve on their own by taking over-the-counter NSAIDS, resting the joint and using ice to relieve discomfort. If bursitis symptoms do not go away after a few days, you should seek bursitis treatment in Torrance.
Recommended treatment of bursitis involves one or more of the following:
Steroid injections--corticosteroids are powerful, anti-inflammatory medications that quickly reduce pain and swelling of bursae. Most people need only one or two injections to enjoy pain relief
Chiropractic care--adjustments can help realign the spine and minimize joint restrictions by ensuring your nervous system is functioning properly
Orthopedic care--special exercises strengthen weak muscles while assistive devices (walking canes or shoe inserts, for example) can remove pressure off joints impacted by bursitis
In rare instances, surgery may be necessary to drain severely inflamed bursae. A bursectomy involves the surgical removal of problematic bursae that do not respond to treatment. New bursae often form after damaged bursae are removed, which are usually less prone to inflammation.
Contact Rolling Hills Medical in Torrance
If you suffer from recurring bursitis, schedule an appointment today at (424) 267-2487 with our Torrance bursitis doctor at Rolling Hills Medical.
Dan Loder, MD: Pain Management
Dr. Dan Loder, MD is head of Pain Management at Rolling Hills Medical of Torrance. Dr. Loder has been succesfully practicing pain management for over a decade. Dr. Loder has administering Epidural Steroid Injections and Facet Joint Injections for years.
Our Pain management doctor prides himself in helping patients be able to accomplish the activities they once did before their pain started. Dr. Loder has found that a well thought out and evidence backed plan has helped his patients quickly get back to where they used to be.
New Patients Receive a Free Consultation