Ankle Pain Treatment
Every time you stand up, your ankle joints are tasked with bearing your full weight and moving through their full range of motion with each step. When damage to the structures inside occurs, your ankles are likely to be unable to perform this function, impacting your mobility and causing immense pain. When that happens, you can see your Torrance ankle joint pain doctor for care. They will diagnose your ankle joint issues and find the appropriate treatment to help you recover quickly and return to your normal daily activities.
Common Causes of Ankle Joint Pain
As the ankle is a complex structure comprised of 14 bones and many connecting tissues, there are many ways it can sustain damage, including:
Injury to the Ankle Joint
Hard impacts, falls, and other missteps have the potential to damage the bones and tissues in the ankle. The most common ankle injuries are:
- Torn tendons
Your ankle pain specialist Torrance will likely need to perform an exam and imaging tests to accurately diagnose ankle injuries and provide the right level of care.
Prior injuries and recurrent inflammation can cause bone spurs, which are tiny bony growths around the ankle joint, heel, and other locations. Although bone spurs do not always cause symptoms, when they do, treatment is available from your ankle joint pain doctor in Torrance.
Common in people who run or engage in other high-impact activities, Achilles tendonitis occurs with overuse of the tendon running between the heel bone and calf muscles. A sudden increase in activity levels or intensity can cause this condition to arise, resulting in the need for care from ankle specialists in Torrance.
Through the years, the cartilage in the ankle joint can start to wear out, leading to the development of ankle arthritis. Although this condition cannot be reversed, an ankle specialists can help minimize symptoms and halt its progression.
Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome
Ankle joint pain can arise from tarsal tunnel syndrome, or the compression of the posterior tibial nerve running up the back of the foot and calf. Numbness, tingling, and burning sensations also arise due to the compression of this nerve. Doctors can help diagnose and treat this condition using non-invasive and surgical procedures.
With so many potential issues causing ankle joint pain, it is important to reach out for care when this problem arises. Your specialist will perform an exam and any tests needed to make an accurate diagnosis and find the right treatment for you.
Treatments Performed by Our Ankle Specialists in Torrance
Depending on the cause of your pain and mobility issues, your ankle specialists in Torrance can use non-invasive or surgical procedures to resolve the condition.
Non-Invasive Ankle Treatments
- Ankle arthritis management - non-operative treatment may include a combination of methods including anti-inflammatory medications, orthotics, steroid injections, and/or physical therapy
- Ankle therapy & rehabilitation - rehabilitation and therapy help to reduce swelling, improve mobility, strengthen, an stabilize the ankle joint
- Pain management - may involve medication, chiropractic care, steroid injection, and physiotherapy
Common Ankle Procedures and Surgeries
Our orthopedic surgeons rely on minimally invasive arthroscopic surgeries that reduce the length of hospital stays and improve rehabilitation time. As opposed to open surgery, arthroscopic procedures require smaller incisions and specially designed surgical tools. Arthroscopy involves miniature cameras that allow the surgeon to visualize the area instead of using traditional open surgery.
- Ankle Arthroscopic Surgery - surgery may help to reduce inflammation, repair cartilage and tendons, remove loose, or help with diagnosis
- Ankle Arthrodesis - ankle fusion to improve stability and alignment in the joint
- Ankle Ligament Reconstruction - reconstructive surgery is performed to reconnect/ tighten the ankle ligaments or replacement using surrounding tendons
- Ankle Tendonitis Treatment - surgical repair to reconnect torn tendons
- Ankle Fracture Treatment - ankle fracture surgery for reduction or putting the bones back together using metal plates and screws
- Ankle Replacement - removal of the damaged ankle bones and replacement with prosthetics joint parts
When to Contact Your Ankle Pain Specialist Torrance
Whenever ankle pain arises, especially if it impacts your mobility, it is important to reach out to your ankle pain specialist Torrance. You can easily schedule an appointment at Rolling Hills Medical with a call to 424-250-8699. Let them know your reason for making the call and they will find a convenient time for you to come in and receive dedicated care.
Dr. Neil Ghodadra, MD Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Neil Ghodadra is our head of Orthopedic Surgery and one of our Ankle Specialists here at Rolling Hills Medical in Torrance. He has vast experience working with the NFL and other organizations around Los Angeles and Orange County. His background is compromised of training in cartilage restoration of the joint to preserve osteotomy, as well as treatment of other complex conditions.